There are many ways to have beautiful fingernails. One way that is not talked about as much anymore is growing your natural fingernails long. Getting a regular manicure and keeping your hands clean and moisturized is the most common way to do this. You can also grow your own fingernails long. This still will not replace the professional touch that a professional Manicurist has.
Natural fingernails grow best during the spring and summer because of the warm moist weather. Duing the fall and winter fingernails need more care, they may break more from being dry and brittle.
To speed up the growth process:
- Oil your nails daily.
- Use warm soapy water to soften the cuticles.
- Use an orange wood cuticle pusher to push the cuticles back. The goal is to show the “nail moon” of each finger. If you do not see them when you are looking at your fingernails at this moment, it may take severly manicures before you do!
- Shape the free edge of the fingernails with a fingernail file.
- Lightly buff the surface of the fingernails for smoothness using a fingernail buffer.
The “nail moon” is located at the end of the nail (that is closest to the skin of the finger), but it still lies under the nail. It is not actually white but only appears so when it is seen through the nail. Outlining the nail matrix, the lunula is a very delicate part of the nail structure. If one damages the lunula, the nail will permanently be deformed. Even when the totality of the nail is removed, the lunula remains in place and is similar in appearance to another smaller fingernail embedded in the nail bed.
It is half-moon-shaped, and has unique histologic features. Examinations concluded that the lunula was an area of loose dermis with lesser developed collagen bundles. 
The lunula is most noticeable on the thumb, however, not everyone’s lunula is visible. In some cases, the eponychium may partially or completely cover the lunula. This is completely normal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunula_(anatomy).
Good luck! for those new to the fingernail growing hobby!
- How-To: Healthy Nails (bellasugar.com)
- Definition: Cuticles (bellasugar.com)
- What are Fingernails Made of (wanttoknowit.com)
- TheraNeem Nail & Cuticle Oil Pen Review & Giveaway (juiciestdeals.com)
- HDATS MAG! hair designs across the street magazine : Growing Natural Fingernails! (hdatsmag.wordpress.com)
- Definition: Lunula (bellasugar.com)
- Is Your Hand Sanitizer Destroying Your Manicure? (prweb.com)
- Top 10 Things Your Nails Say About Your Health (forallwomentoknow.blogspot.com)
- How do your fingernails look today? (mycrankygut.com)
- Manicure at home (thehimalayantimes.com)